08 June 2009

Pigged-out at Jinjang

It's official. Ever since my lau sai trip in China, I've been pigging out a lot to try replenish what I lost in one night! Until now, I still constantly feel hungry and crave for food, any type of food! I hope I haven't put on too much weight yet...

Last sunday, I went to Jinjang with a friend and her housemates. Ya, a glutton like me, I don't care whether I know the housemates well or not, got chance to eat? I join! Hehehe... We went all the way to Kepong Jinjang for the famous tai chau & seafood.

That place was not very clean, it's crowded, hot and you had to even bear with the smell of rubbish while you eat. But the food was fabulous, that's the most important! Moreover, the variety of dishes here is huge. You look at the menu above, plus all other special dishes of the day that the cook felt like whipping up for you, you'd never get bored of dining here, even if you go very often.

We had Yin Yong escargot, which came in 2 flavours, Kam Heong and Kong Poh. The Kam Heong sauce was wonderful while the Kong Poh was equally good! I think it's quite a creative way of cooking escargots!

Fried salted egg scampi was our next dish. I think the salted egg coating was not thick enough and fried until too dry. I still prefer it to be a little wet, like how Pantai Seafood did theirs. So far they are still the best. This dish here wasn't so fantastic.

We also had the crab baked with butter. The crab was the best dish of the day! It was baked till very aromatic, and yet the sweetness of the crab meat was still retained. Yummy!

My friend's housemate did warn us about the dishes in this stall could be quite extraordinary, or in other word, downright weird. We got to experience it in the following 2 dishes. The mui choy fried Hong Kong Kailan and Chow Yong Tau fu (ie. Ugly Beancurd).

Who would have thought to mix mui choy with chinese greens like HK Kailan? It still tasted all right, not too weird. I didn't mind the concoction at all but my friend didn't like it.

The Homemade Ugly Tofu was indeed quite ugly! Some people might be put off by the look of the tofu, which resembled bitumen-coated cement mud (but it's actually made of black beans). I was brave enough to sink my teeth into it and ohhh I fully understood the phrase 'Don't judge a book by its cover'. The tofu was amazing! The tofu skin was crispy while the inside was runny, smooth and soft!
Actually, I think there are too many menacing looking things that we do eat, just because everyone else eats it. Just like crabs. Don't you think they look really ugly too? If you are the first person in the world that discover this species, would you have dared to even eat it? I won't. So it all boils down to social stigma. I suddenly thought of Susan Boyle. Maybe they should rename this dish as Susan Boyle Tofu. Hmm...

Anyway, back to the food. We had a satisfying meal at this stall for RM31 per person. Not bad since we had 2 dishes of seafood. Unfortunately I did not see the name of the stall. I don't think it has a name anyway so if you are interested in going, I can bring you there. ;)

4 comments: